1.10.2010

Classical Singer



Last May, my voice teacher got a grant to take me and some other students to Chicago for the Classical Singer Convention and Competition. It was the first year for the University Competition, but the High School Competition has been going on for years. It was a big success and there was a ton of interest, so this year they are splitting the University portion into 2 categories: Graduate and Undergraduate. They also instituted  preliminary rounds, held throughout the country. On Saturday, I competed in the preliminary round held at BYU, for the Utah area. Only 4 participants are going from this preliminary to the 2nd round, held at this year's Convention in New York City--and I am one of them! (And I'm the only female from our round to go...how often does that happen??) So, I am going first thing Monday to the Graduate and Music Schools to see what grants and funding are available for something like this. There is a lot for undergraduates, but apparently not for graduate students... so I'm going to be working my rear off to find some money to pay for the trip (NY is not a cheap city). As long as I can get funding, we are off for 5 days of fun! (I am definitely taking Bryce along for this one, especially since we will only have to pay for his plane ticket and a grant should pay for my ticket, hotel and food). I am incredibly excited since I have never been to NYC before. Everyone pray that I can find the funding I need to attend the Competition and Conference.

1 comment:

Ciara said...

CONGRATS!
p.s. remember we're in nyc too so we'd love to meet up for dinner or help you decide where is best to go! good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...