So, I've picked out the music for my grad recital. I have also been to 2 grad recitals in the past few weeks. This has got me thinking about the most important part... WHAT WILL I WEAR?? I am in the course of a new diet and exercise plan (10 lbs down!) and plan to fit into this adorable gold dress I got way back when we went to the Cinderella Ball in Arlington in 2007:
I think they've changed the design a bit since I got this dress, because mine doesn't look exactly like that... the beading down the center is a bit different and the gold is actually gold, not this champagne color in the picture.
Anyway, this is the last recital I will give in school and so I want to make a splash! Therefore, I want to do a costume change. I will start out with my cute, simple gold dress and then I want to move on to something else... something SPECTACULAR! I have decided that I want this something spectacular to be green and very classic (so that I can wear it again). It needs to be THE dress for me.
So I started searching online and found this little number:
I love the beading (it makes it seem like its not typical "Mormon modest") and I love how well it would go with these earrings and shoes:
There are two problems I have found with this dress:
1. The green is too bright (I am doing my recital in January and need more of a jewel-tone deep green)
2. The fabric and style are very similar to my gold dress
So, I kept searching...
and searching...
and searching
Did you know how hard it is to find a green dress that is also modest?? This is the closest I've found:
Don't get me wrong... I like this dress a lot. It is the right color, but it is quite plain, so I'd have to do something to really bling it up (and honestly, I don't think just jewelry would cut it). I may end up with this dress if I can't find anything else, but it is not PERFECT.
And then I stumbled across this beauty:
Why does THE dress have to be immodest?!? It is the perfect dress aside from 2 things:
1. It is immodest. Not that that would stop me, because I could just get it altered. And with the way it is constructed, a good seamstress could take it apart from the empire waist up and redo it modestly without anyone ever knowing, but...
2. It is expensive. Like almost as much as my (very modestly priced) wedding dress was. And if I was to get it, it would cost a HECK of a lot more to get it altered.
Why did I have to come across this dress?? It is so beautiful and perfect in so many ways. The color, for one, can't be beat. It is just a little bit more rich than the modest emerald green dress. I love the black lace with sparkliness around the waist. It is just enough bling without being over-the-top. The cut of the dress is so figure-flattering and I LOVE the full skirt. It is SO close to being my perfect dress.
So, let me know your opinion on the situation... which dresses do you like? Am I delusional about this last dress? Do you know a great seamstress? Do you know of another dress that I should see? At this point, I am obsessed... I need help. I may actually spend part of my weekend going to the stores and seeing what they actually have because it may be different than what is online. The crazy-lady part of it is that I know I'm not going to buy a dress until I get down to my goal weight, it's just knowing that my dress is out there that will make me stop obsessing.








4 comments:
I like the pattern of the brighter green dress - maybe you could find a seamstress who could make it for you and just purchase the fabric that you like. There have got to be plenty of seamstresses up that way that could help you out. I will look for some pretty green silk here, too and if I find any will get for you.
When is your grad recital? Is that next December?
i loove the middle green dress. you could find an awesome brooch to put on the dress on the side where the rouching(sp?) angles down? then just add to it with bling jewelry that kinda matches.. ooor if it isnt too expensive, see if you could find a seamstress who could put some extra beading on it somewhere.
also, i do know that a lot of the modest gown stores online have waay more colors than they show in pictures. if you check out eternitygowns.com they tell you they can have any dress made in almost any color. i'm sure its true for many other stores online too if you call and ask.... as long as its far enough in advance, i'm sure most sites would do it if you find a dress you like...... good luck!
btw- your wardrobe wednesdays are so fun! love em. :)
@Kat, I did look at eternitygowns.com, but didn't know they could make the dresses in any color... until I jumped the gun on looking at stores and went to the Center Street store today. I talked to the owner and they have a satin fabric that is the EXACT green color. unfortunately, the dresses that I really like from there are taffeta, like this: http://www.eternitybridalandprom.com/evening.php?c=MS230&i=MS236
I'm going to be doing a follow up post once I get some more opinions, because I think I will get mine from eternitygowns.com
Marcia Cross wore a very similar version of THE dress to the Emmy's one year, and then InStyle names it the best dress of the year a few months later: http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Marcia_Cross_green_dress_full_length.jpg
Probably why you love it so much, we always knew you were a Bree. However, I adore the first green dress as well.
Post a Comment