6.28.2010

Wishlist

I have several big-ticket items on my wishlist/really early Christmas list. One main thing that we (I say we because this is an expensive item and the only way it will get gifted to me is if its a "we" item) want/need/drool over is a nice camera. It is one of those things that we always look at when we go to Best Buy and lust after. Bryce says the next camera we get should be one with interchangeable lenses and all that fancy stuff, but I'm not sure if we need that. I am sure that I want to get a better camera before our trip to Singapore for Christmas. Here are the ones that have gotten good reviews and I think I would want:

These cameras are both under $400. They are both fancy point-and-shoot digital cameras. Now, if we are going with a really nice, interchangeable-lens, digital SLR camera, these seem to be the best (reasonable) ones:


Any thoughts? Does anybody have one of these cameras? What else would you recommend? I can't decide what is good/what we need. Oh wishlist, how you take up my time!

3 comments:

Liz Johnston said...

me too! I think I want a DSLR but I don't know if I want to go Canon or Nikon.. I feel like there is SOO much to read and in reality everyone is biased in some way it seems. Let me know what you decided

Kiersten said...

I know 3 people who have the Canon Rebel. They all LOVE it! My sis has one, and I used it to take pictures all over NYC, Halle's bday party, etc. and I LOVE it too. I want to get one, but why when I have 3 friends who have it and I can have them take pics of my kids from time to time? LOL! Maybe one day...

Megan Duong said...

I couldn't help but comment on this post since I am a photography/camera nerd. I have a Nikon D40 (dslr) that I had gotten as a birthday present for $375. It was on sale.

As for the point and shoot choices you have, either one would work best. The Nikon Coolpix have some user-friendly features and the display is big. The Powershot is great at taking pictures if you want bright, vivid photos every time.

For DSLR's, basic models like the Nikon D40, D60, D90 or D5000 would be perfect. Especially if you want to have a starter DSLR camera. With the lens, the best choices for starters are the kit lens (usually comes with a 15-85 mm which is a wide angle with both automatic and manual focus. There's a switch for that), 50 mm f/1.8 (which is your standard portrait lens, fixed angle/manual focus...there is a f/1.4 but that'd cost more) and the fisheye lens (which are the lens with the spherical/circular effect. I can give you exact models if you'd like). My other friends have Canons (Rebel XTI/XSI), Sony (alpha series) and Olympus (E-420/520) which would be in the same price range as a Nikon. I love Nikons more so I would go with a Nikon. But that's just me.

If you're not ready for a DSLR but you don't want to go for a point and shoot. Ask the sales person if they have advance point and shoot camera's. Canon has a camera that's a G9/G10 which allows you to add lens adapters and flashes to it. I am not sure what the other models are but ask the sales person and they'll point you to it. It's in between the price of a point and shoot and a DSLR. My sister has a G10 and it takes pictures just as clear as my DSLR.

Hope this helps and feel free to Facebook me and ask me questions.

-Myngan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...