2.01.2010

Habits

I have set many goals for myself this year, as you may remember. This semester has started off crazy and, needless to say, I have not gotten a jump start on really any of my goals. I was informed by a pre-med student in the group voice class I teach that studies have shown that it takes 2 weeks to form sleeping patterns (ie, going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every day, thus getting more restful sleep). I researched a little online and found that it takes an average of 21 days to form a habit, such as working out, eating healthy, daily chores, studying, etc. 21 days (3 weeks) seems like a long time, but I am determined to make some good habits for myself. My school schedule is set, so why can't I make an effort to form habits that will help me reach my goals? So, here's the plan for my habit-making:

  1. Go to bed at 11:30 pm every night and wake up at 7:30 am every morning.
  2. Work out 5 days a week. I have not completely decided what days these will be, but right now I'm thinking M-Th and Saturday mornings.
  3. Make lunch at home and take it to school with me. This is ultimately about not eating fast food because I forgot or didn't have enough time to make a lunch.
  4. Stick strictly to my school schedule. I have times set aside for practicing and studying, but rarely use them. I need to stick to them so that I don't have to do any of that at home.
These 4 are all I'm going to worry about for now. It is going to take some strict effort on my part to stick to this plan, so I don't want to overwhelm myself by adding in more things. I will update with how things are going. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

KathiNiels said...

Good Luck!!! You can do it!

Kiersten said...

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...