Last night, while hanging around the house, I decided to get to work on my sewing projects for the month. I started with the car seat cover. I swear that EVERYONE here in Utah has one, which I don't blame them for. It gets cold and it gets windy, and I would want to protect my sweet little baby's face from that too. Most that I have seen are like this, but for $40 (or more) I can make one myself and make it better. Here's the finished product:
Last night I also whipped up this little guy:
- I started by measuring the length across the carrying handle, plus an inch or so for hangover and hemming and from front to back (over the carrying handle and normal canopy), plus some extra for hemming and hangover. I got a measurement of 44"x48". I ironed and cut out the fabric.
- I measured and marked the middle of the short side so that I made sure to drape it evenly over my car seat. I then guesstimated the curves and cut off the corners on 1/2 of the fabric. Then I folded it in half and traced/cut out the same curve for the other side. This gives it a nice, even drape in the front and allowed me to add that "something extra" (elastic) in the back.
- I sewed my two pieces of fabric together (right sides facing in), leaving a hole to turn it right side out.
- Before I turned it out, I draped it over my car seat one more time to see where I wanted the elastic to start and stop. I marked those places and then sewed about 1/2-3/4" seam (I just guesstimated) in from the original seam.
- I turned the fabric out and found the holes where my elastic hole was. I threaded the elastic through (3/8" elastic), bunched the fabric until the right amount of elastic was in the back and pinned it on both sides. Just slightly up from the ends of the elastic, I secured the elastic by sewing a thick stitch pattern over it.
- I tucked the end of the elastic in and ironed the edges of the fabric out so I could put a decorative stitch/sew shut any gaps left at this point.
- With my leftover fabric scraps (cut from the corners earlier) I made straps by cutting out a square of fabric, folding it in half, and sewing it (right sides together), leaving one short end open. I turned it out, ironed it, and used the same decorative stitch as the canopy. I used snaps on my straps, so they were the last to go on. (NOTE: if you want to use velcro, I suggest sewing it on before you sew the strap in half so that you don't have stitches all the way through your strap.)
- I pinned the straps onto the canopy equidistant from the center point and then sewed them on with the same decorative stitch that I used on all the edges. I made sure to put straps on both sides so that it can be reversible. Check it out:
Last night I also whipped up this little guy:
At my baby shower I received a monstrous package of 1100+ baby wipes (yay!) and it came with two cases, including this travel one. I watched a couple of YouTube tutorials of how to cover one and kind of blended them together to get this. I had some leftover camo flannel from one of the receiving blankets I made, so that is what I used along with some teal ribbon I had just hanging out. It was really simple and I think it turned out well, although Bryce said he was "underwhelmed" by this after seeing me whip up the canopy. I am going to have to get another of these travel cases (hopefully in white) and make another.
2 comments:
these look so good.you should make me one!
Gah!!! CRAF----TEE!
Post a Comment