As baby Jacob's arrival gets closer and closer I am getting more and more stressed about the fact that I am completely unprepared. I want to ask all of you mothers out there: What do I absolutely need to have when baby comes? What do you feel that is not necessarily a need, but made your life a lot easier?
Here's what I have so far:
Here's what I have so far:
- Clothes. I am pretty sure I'm set as far as newborn size goes and I have quite a few 0-3 mo. size clothes as well.
- Blankets. I have both the swaddling sacks as well as flannel and waffle-knit swaddling blankets. I also have baby bedding (sheets, bumper, etc.) and a couple of cuddly blankets.
- Crib and Matress
- Changing Table (although neither this nor the crib are put together, even though I've had them for a few months now)
- Pack-n-Play w/bassinet insert. We are going to have this in our room for the baby to sleep in for the first few weeks and then move it downstairs into the living room for the baby to play/hang out in while mommy and/or daddy needs their hands free
- Stroller and car seat
- Wipes (and lots of them) and diaper ointment
- A few packs of newborn diapers. How many should I realistically plan for?
- Pacifiers
- Bath stuff (soap, shampoo, lotion, towels, bathtub)
- Boppy pillow
- Bibs and a few burp cloths
Things I don't have, but feel like I need (this is where I really need your help!)
- Baby Monitor
- Caps and mittens (for when baby's sleeping)
- Some sort of dirty diaper storage
- Newborn and one size up diapers
- A diaper bag
- A baby-specific first aid kit
- Bouncer
- Breast pump and extra bottles (although I plan on having the baby with me most of the time, I will very likely go back to teaching at least a few hours a week in the fall)
Is there anything I've completely forgotten? Are there things that I think I need that are totally unnecessary? What are the best products that you have found? Now that I've written it all down, it doesn't seem like I'm really missing a ton of stuff, which is very comforting for me because I was really starting to freak out. Now I actually need to get the things I do have organized and put together.
13 comments:
One thing I didn't get but totally wish I had was a swing. I swear my arms about fell off sometimes! One thing on your wish list that you won't really need are caps. I mean, you'll want a couple for when it's cold outside but they actually tell you not to put hats on babies while they sleep because they can get overheated.
Receiving blankets--you can never have enough of them. Seriously. I used them as burp cloths as well as to swaddle because there is/might be SO much spit up when baby is little. Also, just a note on swaddling--ask them to show you how to do the two-blanket swaddle while you're in the hospital. It's the swaddling that they use there and it really helps to keep their arms down.
Nursing pads--DO NOT waste your money on the Nuk kind. They're basically like sticking a piece of tissue in your bra! I really, really liked the Lansinoh disposable ones except for all the waste they made (individually wrapped) so I switched to kushies reusables. Whatever you do, get thick contoured ones.
Lanolin--I didn't really need it after the first week or so but lots of mommies find it super helpful.
Nursing bra--don't buy one until your milk comes in. I bought a cheap front closure one to use for the first week or so until my supply was fairly steady and then went and bought a couple of them.
Nursing cover--either buy one or make your own. WAY better than using a blanket. Seriously, WAY better.
If you're okay with a small-ish diaper bag, they'll give you one at the hospital. If you choose the Similac one they'll include a breast milk cooling storage bag (to take breast milk on the go) and small storage containers. I wish I hadn't bought a diaper bag and had just used that one. I use it all the time now. Much easier.
Don't buy a ton of newborn diapers. I think we went through about 3 packages before he outgrew them. Also, when they're that small, they're going to leak no matter what so you can get cheap ones for size N and even size 1. By about size 1-2 or 2 you'll want to invest in better diapers. Amazon Mom subscribe and save is basically the best thing ever. But seriously, the Pampers and the Huggies leaked just as much as the Wal-mart ones at that age.
Moby wrap--LOVE that thing. You can try to make your own but it's basically the exact same price (15 feet of jersey knit ain't cheap!) Babies love to be snuggled close to mommy.
Rocking chair of some sort? You'll want some place to rest your feet while you're nursing ALL THE TIME in those first few weeks. We also had one of those exercise bouncy balls for calming Hyrum down. It was far more effective than the rocking chair for fussiness but not incredibly useful for feeding (though I did feed and bounce at the same time on a few occasions)
Netflix subscription to keep YOU sane :)
Also, this one is kind of silly, but I bought a high-quality music stand to rest a book on while I was reading. It worked pretty nicely.
Car seat cover (like, one to go over the top) for when they're little and you're out and about.
That's about it! You're actually super prepared.
I'd say the baby monitor isn't a must until you move him to another room, so you could maybe wait on that for a little while. unless you want to always have him nap in his bed while you are out in another room. at so young, they will really sleep anywhere tho.
the other thing is that if you are breastfeeding, their poop doesn't smell very much at ALL so a dirty diaper storage might not be necessary. just a small trash can next to the pack n play would work.
and i'd say yes to the baby first aid kit. find one that comes with clippers and a little squeeze thing for their nose..
a couple things that I didn't know i needed that i didn't notice on your list are some small changing pads for when you wanna change his diaper in your living room or on your couch or what not (and maybe a larger pad and sheet for the pack n play, also which i didn't know i needed) AND some Mylicon drops for when they get gassy or have tummy aches. I was surprised at how easily and how soon i could tell when Ivy would get tummy aches. she doesnt get them a lot but when she does, the Mylicon works wonders! calms her down super fast and helps her relax to be able to sleep.. Oh and one more thing- Hand Sanitizer for when visitors come over. you could just ask people to wash their hands but the sanitizer is just easier and quicker.
and just wanted to include a few things i had to get for myself that i didn't know or think i needed:
-nursing bra and comfy sports bras
-loose pants
-maxi pads and breast pads
-if you are going to pump, lanolin breast cream stuff
-PATIENCE! the hormones are crraaazy the week or two after. haha.
Good luck Alison!! We are so excited for yall! you will be a great mom! :)
oh and i totally agree with amy on the Lansinoh kind of pads. I loved them, even tho the individually wrapped thing is sort of annoying, lol. AND aggreed about the rocking chair too. I didn't think i'd need it but after baby came, I was sooo grateful I had my parents bring it over.
One more thing i just LOVE are these new kind of swaddling blankets. they are kinda stretchy and super light-weight for the summer time but still keep baby warm. I know they sell them at Target.. here are a couple links:
http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/classic.aspx
http://www.target.com/aden-anais-Target-Charleyroo-Swaddle/dp/B0026746DC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=aden%20and%20anais&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-9&qid=1306967537&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=aden%20anais%20Target%20Charleyroo%20Swaddle&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0
Don't get a diaper storage thing. We have one if you want it but they get stinky just put diapers in grocery bags and take that out everyday.
love the Lansinoh pads.
Pumping hurts if you do it before your used to BF. So maybe you can hold off for a little bit. The best thing to get your milk to come in is not stressing out and lots of water.
Had a monitor with Aurora and the power surged and ruined the adapter but it hasn't been necessary with any of my kids because our places has always been small.
I like the bouncy chair and nolan seems to too.
Diapers- I really like getting mine in big boxes at Sam's Club. I would get the small cases of newborn ones, and then a big case of size 1's.
Diaper bag. Definitely. BUT I agree with Amy that you can get free ones from the hospital. Maybe use that one until you find one that you really like, and you know exactly what you want. My MIL tried bought me a little one, and I'm really a pack-rat with my diaper bag, so it didn't work.
A swing was seriously a life saver for us, but so much depends on the baby. Clara loved that swing so much and could sleep forever in it... but some babies aren't the same. It might be worth it to wait and see what kind of little guy you have.
Ok, here's my big time recommendation on a breast pump: RENT IT. At the hospital, they will give you a number for the lactation consultants in Orem, and you can rent a hospital grade machine for $15 a week, there's some monthly deal that I can't remember, or 6 months for $200. I rented it at the beginning for Clara and LOVED it. The hospital grade ones are worth thousands of dollars, and are significantly better than anything else you can afford. They are SO efficient and powerful, and I thought the price was decent for that kind of machine. I would also get some milk bags and start freezing any milk pump for the future when you're away from the baby. Do you need this ahead of time? Not really. I got mine when Clara was about a week old to help with milk production (which it did and it was AWESOME).
Here's what we do for dirty diapers: sandwich size sealable plastic bags. Put the diaper in there, seal it, no smell, throw in trash. I also have a sister in law who does that using plastic grocery bags.
We had a baby monitor and barely used it, but our apartment was one level and pretty small. That's something else you may want to wait and see if you even want.
We never used caps or mittens. I personally think they're unnecessary, but that probably again depends a lot on the temperament of baby Jacob.
Nursing cover: my Visiting Teacher made me one, so they're easy to make, or you can buy one. Life saver.
Nursing garments. Maybe you already have them and just haven't said it, but I didn't get mine ahead of time and it was AWFUL. My recommend expired just as she was being born, and so it was super hard to get them.
Swaddlers! Clara LOVED them. I wish I was there to give you one. You can buy them for $10 at Walmart. So helpful. I loved it so very, very much, I can't even begin to tell you.
Alright, that's all I can think of... just remember there's seriously not a lot you NEED for a new baby. I was so stressed out (we were dirty poor and didn't even know if we were going to have the baby in Provo), but after she was born it was ok... when we needed something, I sent Jordan out and it was ok.
The things you put on your "still need" list are all essentials. I got a video monitor, not just an audio monitor and it is the best thing ever!
Diaper bag... They do give you a good one in the hospital, (though I had already bought one) but one thing my friend did that I wish I had too was she just bought a HUGE purse/bag thing, and it doubles as her purse and diaper bag, so she only has to carry one thing- plus then you can still be stylish!
About a pump- you'll definitely want one b4 baby, cause after you won't want to deal with finding one, even though you won't need it for a while. They actually had me use one in the hospital to help my milk come in, so maybe you'll want it right away.
One more thing...have your changing table totally stocked and everything unwrapped so you don't have to do it later. It was so nice to come home from the hospital and have everything already ready.
Good luck!
I wish I was brave enough to ask for advice my first time around!! You have gotten LOTS of good comments already, just wanted to add in that the Lansinoh breast pads are awesome, gas drops are awesome, bouncers and/or swings are awesome, never used a baby monitor before but always wanted one, get a good reliable easy to use thermometer, mittens were a lifesaver for us because my boys would scratch up their faces and you can't really cut their fingernails for a while, hand santizer is a great idea, bigger nursing bras than you think you'll need (something soft cotton), and just be super informed about all the post-partum happenings. I asked for extra maxi pads from the hospital and disposable changing pads to sit on when I got home. And a sitz bath (the nurses can teach you how to use it and it helps a lot if you tear!). No one told me that was the hardest part (well at least I felt like it was the hardest!). I love babycenter.com for info. Boys are so great!! At least that's all I have experience in so far, good luck with everything!
Stool softener. Trust me, you'll want it.
(Sarra Robinson, here)
Totally agree with Cheesecake Momma - you will want stool softeners for about two weeks after the baby is born, especially if he's going to be a big baby!
Most of the comments here are all spot on, but here's one thing I got for Liz that I didn't have for Steph and and was totally amazed by:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299911
It's a snuzzler - an insert for car seats and strollers that wonderfully support your baby! I had the regular infant stuff for Stephanie, and this was so much better than any other infant seat insert. It's durable, soft, washable, and will last for a very long time and can be used for multiple babies, so you totally get your money's worth. Plus, it isn't gender specific!
well you've got tons of advice already so I will try to keep this short.
-2 mattress pad covers, I had tons of extra sheets with my first baby and didn't even think to have two mattress pad covers.
-baby monitor that is cordless and can go in the shower with you. Loved being able to take my time in the shower without wondering if the baby was crying
-don't take the tags off your newborn clothes yet. It sounds like Jacob might be big so you don't want to have a bunch of small clothes that he can't fit in to. That goes for newborn diapers too. I totally skipped newborn clothes with my second baby.
-agree with no diaper pail, had it with our first and didn't touch it with our second. Grocery bag tied off and taken outside to the trash.
-swings are great
Also you might want to take a couple of the newborn diapers and put water on the absorbant part and put them in the freezer. These work great for a cold compress after delivery, they stay frozen longer and are just the right contour. Let me know if you have any questions, and congratulations again, I'm sure you are feeling like these last months are taking forever.
One thing I had to relearn with my second boy that I had forgot is too make sure, double sure that his penis is pointed down when you diaper him! My boys could pee out of there diaper if it was pointed up and than their clothes and who ever was holding him would get wet but not the diaper..
This is the pump I had which was wonderful for my swollen painful breasts if you are pumping for bottles you might want to get something electric but if you just need it to relieve pressure or to bottle once in a while for a babysitter than this would work. I got it for a 20 at wal-mart. Nursing can be hard but it is worth it if you can. My first was so easy and everything was fine. My second so hard but we eventually got it.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Manual-Breast-Pump-1-Count/dp/B000P9TK0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307038432&sr=1-2-catcorr
Just a couple thoughts on the diaper pail and baby monitor debate:
We bought a diaper pail and I never used it UNTIL the pediatrician recommended we give Hyrum a vitamin supplement that included iron. A lot of pediatricians recommend this type of supplement for babies who are exclusively breastfed because they are often deficient in vitamin D and iron. Anyway, iron makes baby diapers STINK!!!! Since you'll probably be advised to give your baby these supplements between 2 weeks and 2 months, if the smell is gonna bother you, get one now. We really liked our Arm and Hammer one. If you lived nearby I'd just give you ours since we switched to cloth diapers and don't use it anymore.
Okay, baby monitor...I don't really think they're terribly necessary. If baby is in the next room then you'll be able to hear him just fine. However, it is really nice for when you take a shower and/or are blow drying your hair or something like that (you can see the sound lights light up for when you can't hear the monitor itself). Beware of video monitors. It's fun to be able to see baby but they've had a lot of problems with people from the outside being able to tap into them and see your baby (and therefore, when you're not home, when baby's asleep and you're not in the room, etc.) Anyway, maybe I'm just a paranoid mama but I don't really like the thought of strangers being able to see my baby because I think that opens up a whole realm of possibilities that I don't even want to think about. One good baby monitor option is Angelcare motion monitor. You put a motion sensor under the mattress and an alarm sounds if there isn't any movement (and therefore breathing) for more than 20 seconds. Since we started co-sleeping we obviously don't use it anymore but it saved my sanity many a night when Hyrum was in another room.
On the postpartum realm, make sure you put a skirt in your hospital bag, not pants! Hopefully you don't end up in a c-section but just in case you have an emergency one, you don' want the pants rubbing on your abdomen. Ouch!!!
Post a Comment